Changing booze culture: Prohibition time?
Changing the Kiwi booze culture
Is it time we bring back prohibition and make alcohol illegal?
We need to have a prohibition vote, held with the national government elections.
A vote would encourage safer drinking and for people to be more responsible about their drinking.
Prohibition would apply in an electorate if 65 per cent vote to go dry. It would apply nationwide if 75 per cent of all electorates vote for it.
If New Zealand opts to go dry at two elections in a row then alcohol should become illgeal permanently.
Other possible messures could include:
- marketing alcohol as harmful and dangerous.
- banning ALL alcohol promotions.
- annually increasing the alcohol tax at the same rate as cigarette tax.
- labelling alcohol with graphic health warnings like tobacco.
- educating more people via school, television, radio and newspaper ads and making all alcohol retailers carry heallth information about alcohol.
- RTDs should be capped at 8 per cent alcohol content.
View all contributions