The widow of slain farmer Scott Guy plans to be in court when the man accused of her husband's murder stands trial in a month's time.
Two families were torn apart and the Feilding community was left stunned when Guy, 31, was found shot dead on his driveway early on July 8, 2010.
The trial of murder-accused Ewen Kerry Macdonald – who is Guy's brother-in-law – is due to begin at Wellington's High Court on June 5.
Glenn Bullock, the father of widow Kylee Guy, said his daughter plans to attend at least some of the hearing.
Almost two years on from Guy's death, the family are still coming to terms with the tragedy.
"It's a shocking thing to go through. It's like going through a real life horror," Bullock said.
His grandchildren – Hunter, 4, and Drover, 1 – are also growing up without their dad.
"The eldest one just thinks his daddy is up in the clouds, and the little fella is too young to know much at all."
Bullock expected the trial to take a further toll on their family.
Kylee moved in with her mum in Hastings after her husband's death, but has since found her own place with her boys in the Hawke's Bay, he said.
Kylee joined dozens of horse riders in a Woodville charity trek in memory of her husband last month.
On the charity poster Kylee's sister Chanelle Bullock encouraged people to join the trek to help her nephews.
"Life is sometimes not fair or right, but if we all help a little we can help those boys have a fulfilled and happy life that Scott would have given them.
"My sister has lost the love of her life and her best friend, and any help would be appreciated."
The event raised more than $3000 for the boys' trust fund.
Scott Guy's family are understood to be in regular contact with Kylee and see the grandchildren as much as possible.
Kylee has also previously said she would support her sister-in-law Anna Macdonald, who is married to Macdonald.
The Guy family also plan to attend the trial and recently closed their Manawatu women's clothing store to focus on family.
Guy's father, Bryan Guy, said the family would not be commenting to media until after the trial.
But just after Macdonald's arrest, Bryan said he would leave it in the court's hands to prove or disprove the murder charge.
"We'll give him the benefit of the doubt."
Last year, Justice France decided to move the trial from Palmerston North to Wellington due to concerns that an impartial jury would be hard to find in Manawatu.
Macdonald has been in custody since his arrest on April 7, 2011, after a nine-month police investigation.
- © Fairfax NZ News