Name suppression for New Plymouth man who imported pornography

A man, who has been granted interim name suppression,  pleaded guilty to importing objectionable material, when he ...
Charlotte Curd/Fairfax NZ

A man, who has been granted interim name suppression, pleaded guilty to importing objectionable material, when he appeared in the New Plymouth District Court on Thursday.

A Taranaki man who pleaded guilty to importing pornographic images has been allowed to keep his anonymity.

During the man's appearance in the New Plymouth District Court on Thursday, his lawyer Susan Hurley entered guilty pleas to three charges which related to the importation of objectionable material. 

Hurley said her client had no previous convictions but sought interim name suppression for him, given the impact publication of his name would have on his parents.

She tabled letters to support her application, including information from the defendant's mother's doctor outlining her health conditions, which included a heart problem.  

Crown prosecutor Justin Marinovich opposed the man's name being suppressed and said he did not believe the extreme hardship threshold had been reached in the case.

He said while the concerns for the defendant's parents were acknowledged, it was not enough to justify the man keeping his name out of the public domain.

"Unfortunately those are the side effects of offending and nothing out of the ordinary," he said.

He said further charges are likely to be laid against the defendant now that full analysis of his computer had been completed.

However, Judge Chris Sygrove said he was satisfied the grounds were met to grant interim name suppression and remanded the man on bail to reappear for sentencing on April 26.

Sygrove ordered a pre-sentence report to be completed ahead of the next court date.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Family Notices

Celebrations

x

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Death Notices

X

View obituaries from around the region

Ad Feedback