A 13-year-old Waitara boy involved in three robberies within a year is likely to get the maximum sentence available in the Youth Court.
The boy cannot be identified because of his age.
Youth Aid Constable Zane Webby, of New Plymouth, said the boy was one of seven people charged with the aggravated robbery of BJ's Superette and Challenge Service Station on August 23 last year.
In total, seven people were charged with the Waitara robbery in which police say thousands of dollars of cigarettes and tobacco were taken and the staff left traumatised.
The boy was also involved with two 14-year-old co-offenders in the attempted robbery of a Mangere Bridge service station in South Auckland in February this year.
The three went into the service station where one of the 14-year-olds threw a large rock at a staff member, hitting him in the shoulder. The 13-year-old was armed with a screwdriver.
The robbery was foiled when a second attendant arrived and the three fled.
The attendant was not seriously injured by the rock, Webby said. The three were jointly charged with assault with intent to rob.
The 13-year-old was also involved in a street robbery in New Plymouth in July last year.
He has since admitted his role in the three offences and been jailed since February.
The boy is to be sentenced in the Youth Court where it is likely he will be ordered to a term between three and six months in a secure youth facility followed by supervision, Webby said.
The maximum sentence available to the Youth Court is six months in a secure youth justice facility.
- Taranaki Daily News
Is high tea at a funeral parlour your cup of tea?Related story: High tea... in a funeral parlour