Numbers too low for 'tough' event
Lack of interest leads to cancellationDEENA COSTER
It's a rare day indeed that Taranaki's tough guys and girls don't want to get down and dirty.
We are, after all, home to the Rotorangi Gutbuster and the Urenui mud run so perhaps we need real challenges to tempt us.
But a lack of interest has led to the cancellation of an event designed to test Taranaki's toughness.
Rotorua company Event Promotions, which organises the Tough Guy and Girl Challenge, announced the inaugural Taranaki stopover would no longer go ahead in July due to a lack of interest.
Marketing manager Charlotte Pearson said they had only received 100 entries for the race, which involved a mud run through a variety of obstacles, including barbed wire, rope bridges and nets.
The event was to be held at the Vertical Horizon Adventure Camp in Inglewood over July 11 and 12.
Pearson said this year was the first time the challenge would have been held in Taranaki and it was "a big pity" it was not able to go ahead.
"It's quite a surprise really," she said.
She said the decision to cancel had been made as it was not economically viable for the company to go ahead with such low numbers. Entry costs for the event started at $65 per person.
She said the Hawke's Bay event, held at the end of May, attracted 600 adults and a further 600 children for the junior challenge.
Pearson said a crowd of 8000 had also entered into the Auckland competitions, which are to be held during the next two weekends.
"What we've got going in the other regions is really good," she said.
Pearson said Taranaki people who had already entered had been contacted and were either offered a full refund or the chance to transfer their entry into the upcoming Auckland, Wellington or Rotorua events.
- Taranaki Daily News
Should NPDC sell its Tasman farms?Related story: Tasman farms in black