Two years of flawless safety at the Stratford power station has paid dividends for two local fire brigades.
Yesterday, Contact, which runs the power station, donated a portable generator to the Stratford fire station and a barbecue to the Toko brigade.
The act of generosity was a means of celebrating two years without a serious accident at the site, which provides power to 200,000 homes in the area.
The power station's health and safety committee chairman Gary O'Keeffe said members decided the two brigades would be the recipients of a gift.
"We asked them what they needed and they came back with a couple of items," he said.
"Stratford said it had to be a portable generator that was like a briefcase, so it could be used to power the ‘jaws of life' and lights at emergencies and the Toko guys said they needed a barbecue to use at community and fundraising events so that's what we got them."
However, the barbecue will sizzle its first sausages this weekend at the official opening of the new Toko station, volunteer firefighter and electrical apprentice Ben Crate said.
Contact head of generation Paul Fougere said he was "absolutely stoked" to help out the fire brigades.
They would be the first responders should there ever be a major incident at the Stratford power station.
- Taranaki Daily News
Should New Plymouth council sell off assets from the Perpetual Investment Fund to pay off debt?Related story: Perpetual Investment Fund asset sell-off 'should be debated'
Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates
Get your mid week news fix
Get your South Taranaki news online