Andrew Little says rumours in the blogosphere that his heart lies in Wellington are nothing more than "conspiracy theories".
The New Plymouth Labour candidate said he has no plans for the Wellington-based Rongotai seat, currently held by Labour MP Annette King, and is putting his heart and soul into winning the New Plymouth seat.
Over the past few months right- wing blogger and political activist David Farrar hinted Labour's 15th ranked candidate has been non- committal in his approach to living in New Plymouth because he plans to stand in the Rongotai electorate in 2014.
Farrar's comments have included: "I suspect the reason Andrew won't commit to New Plymouth is because he will want to stand in Rongotai if there is a by- election after the general election."
But Mr Little said he made the decision to stand in New Plymouth last year, before he even knew where he was on the party's list.
"I've been up here regularly since I made that decision, five days a week since July and am now here fulltime," he said.
There hasn't been any conversations held with MP Annette King regarding her future in the seat, he said.
"It's all rubbish and the thing about so-called safe Labour seats is that there are always many contenders for them.
"The last time I heard this conspiracy theory was on Kiwiblog with David Farrar who does National Party research. He runs this line out every now and then . . . because their campaign in New Plymouth isn't running so well."
Mr Little said if he wins the New Plymouth seat he will "absolutely" stand again in 2014.
"I'm here because I've talked with my family and this is our decision and I have my boy enrolled at a school here for next year.
"If I'm elected we will be moving up here and not renting, we will be buying, no question about it," he said.
At a New Plymouth candidate debate on Monday night Mr Little said he would not live in New Plymouth if he lost the election then got into Parliament as a List MP.
He said the cost to the taxpayer in travel expenses ruled out that possibility.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should ratepayers fork out for increased security to keep vandals at bay in Pukekura Park?Related story: Cameras set to catch vandals