Drugged dogs being brought into city vets for treatment - including a chihuahua high on marijuana - are worrying vets.
Veterinarian Julie Lavis said the tiny canine nearly died from hypothermia when it was brought in to the After Hours Veterinary Hospital in Hamilton scared and "in a bad way".
Roaches [joint butts] had been regularly left on a coffee table and the chihuahua had developed a fetish for eating them - he loved the taste of cannabis.
"[Marijuana] makes all the blood vessels dilate a bit and that's why they get red eyes," Dr Lavis said.
"So when those vessels are dilated they lose temperature - it's not bad if you're 40kg but when you're less than two, the poor thing was really cold. So we had to warm him up."
The team on the corner of Anglesea and Liverpool Sts treats about one cannabis admission per fortnight during opening hours from 6pm to 8am. And the consumption is always accidental, the owners say.
In another case, a fluffy white wheaten terrier consumed some "lolly cake" containing cannabis that had been thrown to the chickens during a cleanout in preparation for a parental visit.
Dr Lavis' nurse Sarah said the pooch was "relaxing back" smiling when it arrived at the the animal hospital.
Another dog strayed from its owner and when the animal was found it was wobbling around the street. Initially, the upset owner thought it had been kicked or run over, but pot was to blame.
"I gather quite a lot of people put them in chocolate cookies, which is pretty tempting for a dog. We get a lot of dogs that are dust bins - they will eat anything."
Dr Lavis came to New Zealand five years ago from Britain.
While practising there she came across only two cases of drugged dogs - she believes one was under the influence of cannabis and the other an opiate. Fairfax NZ
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should the NPDC councillors get iPads?Related story: Tech-wary councillors hedge their bets