Store fire charges laid

LEIGHTON KEITH
Last updated 05:00 04/08/2012

Relevant offers

The mother and grandmother of the young child who started a fire in New Plymouth's Pak'n Save have been charged.

The supermarket was filled with choking fumes and had to remain closed for a day after a fire was deliberately lit in the nappy aisle on July 11. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stock ruined by fire and smoke had to be thrown out.

Police were powerless to take action against the culprit because the child was too young.

Detective Senior Sergeant Grant Coward said two women who were with the child at the supermarket had been summonsed to appear in court on August 15.

Mr Coward said the pair had been charged with leaving a child under the age of 14 without adequate supervision.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should New Plymouth council sell off assets from the Perpetual Investment Fund to pay off debt?

Yes

No

Not sure, but it should be debated

Vote Result

Related story: Perpetual Investment Fund asset sell-off 'should be debated'

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online