Secondary school students were back at outdoor education centre Topec this week, less than three weeks after a rockclimbing disaster claimed three lives.
On Monday, 17 Hawera High School year 12 students started a week-long course at Topec while Labour Department and police investigations of the organisation continue.
Last month three people died after being swept off Paritutu rock during a Topec traverse.
The body of Brazilian student Felipe Melo, 17, was found and his funeral was held at Spotswood College a week ago.
The sea is yet to return Spotswood College student Stephen Kahukaka-Gedye, 17 and his Topec instructor Bryce Jourdain, 42.
Hawera High School principal Hans Konlechner said Topec was up and running as usual, with the exception of the Paritutu traverse.
"The director of Topec, Steve Ralph, came and spoke at a meeting of the parents of the students going," he said.
"It was an opportunity for the parents to ask any questions they had."
Mr Konlechner said all the students scheduled to take part have done so and the decision to send them had the unanimous support of the board of trustees.
The course included preparation and rafting of the Maunganui and Waitara rivers on Monday and Tuesday, caving in Awakino on Wednesday and bush skill exercises at Egmont National Park on Thursday and Friday.
One area that will be addressed by secondary schools during the coming weeks is the contract detailing their relationship with Topec.
Hawera High School, New Plymouth Boys' High School and Spotswood College have all confirmed that their boards of trustees are reviewing their contract with Topec.
Mr Konlechner said the school would seek legal advice if changes needed to be made to modify the contract that was in place.
Outdoor education is still on hold at Spotswood College but principal Mark Bowden says that is likely to change soon.
"The board want to sit down and review certain aspects of the agreement we have with Topec and then get back to it because they think outdoor education is important," he said.
In two weeks, 22 New Plymouth Boys' High School year 10 students will be completing a week-long course at Topec.
Principal Michael McMenamin said he had already spoken with the parents of all the boys and everyone was happy with the camp going ahead.
A Labour Department spokesperson said it could be up to six months before its report is available.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should ratepayers fork out for increased security to keep vandals at bay in Pukekura Park?Related story: Cameras set to catch vandals