Poisoned shellfish have been found on the coast between Mohakatino and Motunui, prompting health authorities to warn against eating shellfish from the area.
A release issued by the Taranaki District Health Board today said tests of shellfish in the area revealed levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) that fell above safety limits.
The Waikato District Health Board has also issued a warning for the area between Mokau and to Raglan.
The Ministry of Primary Industry limit is 0.80mg/kg and shellfish collected in the area showed levels of 0.96mg/kg.
Symptoms of PSP included numbness of the mouth, face and extremities, difficulty in breathing or swallowing, dizziness and double vision and in sever cases respiratory failure.
The public are being warned not to consume any form of shellfish including kina, mussels, toheroa, pipis, tuatua, oysters and cockles.
Cooking the shellfish does not remove the toxin, the TDHB said.
If anyone who becomes ill after eating shellfish from the area should contact a doctor immediately, advise the public health unit and keep any remaining shellfish.
Warning signs are currently being erected in the area.
- Taranaki Daily News
What's your expectation of former tropical cyclone Pam?Related story: Cyclone Pam hits New Zealand
Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates
Get your mid week news fix
Get your South Taranaki news online