Poisoned shellfish found on the coast

Last updated 13:53 07/11/2012

Relevant offers

Poisoned shellfish have been found on the coast between Mohakatino and Motunui, prompting health authorities to warn against eating shellfish from the area.

A release issued by the Taranaki District Health Board today said tests of shellfish in the area revealed levels of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) that fell above safety limits.

The Waikato District Health Board has also issued a warning for the area between Mokau and to Raglan.

The Ministry of Primary Industry limit is 0.80mg/kg and shellfish collected in the area showed levels of 0.96mg/kg.

Symptoms of PSP included numbness of the mouth, face and extremities, difficulty in breathing or swallowing, dizziness and double vision and in sever cases respiratory failure.

The public are being warned not to consume any form of shellfish including kina, mussels, toheroa, pipis, tuatua, oysters and cockles.

Cooking the shellfish does not remove the toxin, the TDHB said.

If anyone who becomes ill after eating shellfish from the area should contact a doctor immediately, advise the public health unit and keep any remaining shellfish.

Warning signs are currently being erected in the area.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Aaron Cruden's omission hurt or help the All Blacks?

Hurt - he needs as much game time as possible.

Help - finally Beauden Barrett will get a proper run.

Hmmm - no biggie, just a temporary hitch.

Who is Cruden? I support the All Whites.

Vote Result

Related story: Senior All Blacks 'pretty disappointed' in Cruden

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online