A coroner has called on Federated Farmers to publicise the dangers of children being left unattended on farms after finding an Invercargill toddler died because a cow trampled on his head.
Jack Tatham, 20 months, was killed when he got into a holding pen full of cattle and a cow delivered a fatal blow to his head.
He was left only for a few minutes and Coroner David Crerar said although the tragedy served as a lesson to other parents, Jack's parents had not slipped in their duty of care.
"Although it may be said the parents of Jack were remiss in not being in active supervision of him at all times, there must be a reasonable limit to their duties and responsibilities."
Jack died in Dunedin Hospital on August 24 last year in the arms of his parents.
Just a day before he was a "healthy active" boy playing on the family farm, while his parents performed "routine task" around a milking shed.
Mr Crerar described the death as "tragic", but emphasised there was no blame to be laid on the parents. Fairfax NZ
- Taranaki Daily News
Is high tea at a funeral parlour your cup of tea?Related story: High tea... in a funeral parlour