Poisoned Taranaki teen misdiagnosed

Last updated 05:00 11/01/2013
tdn liam stand
DANGEROUS BREW: Liam Davies suffered methanol poisoning after drinking at a bar on the island of Lombok on New Year's Eve.

Relevant offers

The Taranaki-born teenager who died from methanol poisoning after drinking a cocktail in a bar near Bali was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm, his family has revealed.

Liam Davies, 19, was celebrating with mates on New Year's Day when he fell ill after consuming a vodka and lime mix containing the toxin on Gili Island off the northwest tip of Lombok.

He was taken to a local hospital for treatment and then flown to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital in his home town of Perth where he died at the weekend when life support equipment was turned off.

His family released a statement yesterday in which they revealed Liam was misdiagnosed in an Indonesian hospital as having a brain aneurysm.

"The ICU team [at SCGH] quickly diagnosed Liam had methanol poisoning ... despite all of their efforts too much time had passed before Liam received the correct medical attention," said the statement, read by Liam's father, Tim.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

The lower drink-driving limits from December are:

Great - too much carnage on our roads.

Overkill - targets moderate drinkers, not the heavies

Still too little - make it zero tolerance.

Sensible - punishment is in line with lesser breaches of limit.

Vote Result

Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online