A Kaponga family are homeless after their house was destroyed by fire late last night.
Firefighters were called to the scene, on Mangawhero Rd Riverlea, about 10pm last night.
Kaponga Chief Fire Officer Jason Hurley said the blaze was made harder to put out because of a false ceiling.
"The fire took hold and there is nothing left inside," Mr Hurley said.
Mr Hurley said no one was injured in the fire and working smoke alarms had saved the family.
The community has already leapt into action with offers of furniture, clothing and support.
- Taranaki Daily News
Should New Plymouth switch to energy-saving streetlights?Related story: Bright idea a big saver