House burns after oil in pan ignites
The house had working smoke alarmsLEIGHTON KEITH
Firefighters are reinforcing the message to keep looking while you're cooking, after a house fire in Hawera last night.
The brigade was called to the Gladstone St house just before 7pm and remained at the scene for about two hours.
The house had working smoke alarms that alerted the young family to the blaze and they escaped safely.
Fire chief Darryl Fowler said the fire had started in the kitchen.
"It comes back to unfortunately the occupants were cooking dinner at the time and left a pan of oil unattended which heated up and caught fire," he said.
"Unfortunately one of the occupants had picked up the pan to try to get it outside and it has spilt on the floor."
Firefighters arrived at the scene to see flames leaping out of the windows, he said. "The house was totally involved in fire."
Mr Fowler said two crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and used two low-pressure hose reels to put out the fire.
The father of the family received minor burns to his hands and a firefighter also suffered minor injuries.
Mr Fowler said it was lucky the house had working smoke alarms but he urged people not to leave cooking unattended.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should the NPDC councillors get iPads?Related story: Tech-wary councillors hedge their bets