Chlorine kids in hospital

Last updated 17:29 19/11/2013

Relevant offers

Seven children have been taken to hospital after inhaling chlorine gas at the Todd Energy Aquatic Centre in New Plymouth.

The children had been playing in the spa in the indoor pool area when a device to chlorinate the water briefly ejected an increased amount of chlorine into the air St John district operations manager Ian May said.

''The children then presented themselves to reception and said they felt unwell. No one was ever unconscious. There was never any leak,'' he said.

Of the seven children taken to hospital two felt moderately ill and five were taken as a precaution.

Two fire appliances and several police units along with a single ambulance responded to the initial call out, about 5.15pm, which indicated there may have been a gas leak a the pool and several people may have been unconscious.

Some swimmers were briefly evacuated from the spa area but the main pool area remained in use throughout the incident.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Is high tea at a funeral parlour your cup of tea?

Yes, it's fun and even educational.

Hmmm, I don't object but it's not for me.

No, it's macabre and in bad taste.

Over my dead body ...

Vote Result

Related story: High tea... in a funeral parlour

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online