Burn-off flames escape drum

MICHELE ONG
Last updated 05:00 23/11/2013

Relevant offers

A South Taranaki resident's yard caught fire yesterday after a controlled burn-off went awry.

Jeff Maguire, of Okaiawa, was burning rubbish in a fire drum when "flames blew up inside the drum" and spread over the grass and also onto scrap metal on the ground.

Fortunately Mr Maguire's Normanby Rd property was about two-minutes from the Okaiawa Volunteer Fire Brigade, which was called to the scene at 2pm.

Former neighbour Gordon Cummings, of Stratford, was dropping by when he saw "firemen everywhere" on Mr Maguire's property.

Mr Cummings said his friend was "very lucky" to be unhurt. "I initially thought the house was on fire," he said.

Okaiawa station senior officer Alister Mason said Mr Maguire was lighting the rubbish bin when wind conditions changed, causing the fire to spread through long, dry grass.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Do you have faith in police solving burglaries?

Yes - there's no faulting their commitment.

Mostly, but they are under-resourced.

Sort of - depends on when and where.

Not really - clearly a low priority for them.

Absolutely not.

Not sure - luckily I've never been burgled.

Vote Result

Related story: Burglaries figures down but fewer being solved

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online