New Plymouth fire fighters spent two hours clamping up gas pipes after a leak at the corner of Tavistock St and Trelawney Cr yesterday.
Senior fire station officer Maurice Kemsley said the leak occurred after a contractor digging for broadband cables unsuspectingly broke the pipes.
Two houses were evacuated.
"Someone rang to let us know," Mr Kemsley said. "They would have smelt the gas, it was quite a powerful leak."
Emergency crews were called to the scene at 5.30pm and the area was cordoned off for two hours as Powerco contractors worked to seal the pipes.
- Taranaki Daily News
Is high tea at a funeral parlour your cup of tea?Related story: High tea... in a funeral parlour