Hangi spark false alarms
Putting down a hangi for Christmas has seen some Taranaki residents visited by the fire brigade this morning.
New Plymouth senior station officer Steve Dombroski said the brigade had attended two fire calls which had both turned out to be related to hangi preparations.
"Somebody has seen smoke from a distance and called it in."
He said it was important people remember to keep a hangi a safe distance from houses and fences and make sure hoses and adequate water were nearby.
Hangi should also be closely monitored, he said.
"People are generally pretty good at keeping an eye on them, they want everything to be perfect for Christmas."
Taranaki Daily News