Bail refused for robbery accused

22:45, Jan 06 2014

A man accused of robbery could remain behind bars for a year before his trial after a judge refused him bail yesterday.

Police allege Jason Valentine Richards, 37, and two co-accused, Chrystal Betteridge, 18, and Edward Rawhiti, 23, planned to get their alleged victim drunk so they could get access to steal his money.

Richards, who denies the charge, asked for bail in the New Plymouth District Court on Monday.

His lawyer Jo Woodcock said the two co-accused had been granted bail and Richards was entitled to the presumption of innocence.

The trial could be as long as a year away, she said.

But Judge Allan Roberts remanded Richards in custody saying there was a significant risk he would not attend court and offend while on bail.

Advertisement

Taranaki Daily News