Drunks in court after damaging police property

South Taranaki police were on the receiving end of damage caused by a drunken offender on two occasions in the leadup to Christmas, the Hawera District Court heard yesterday.

In the first case, Stephen Charles Franklin, 38, machine operator, pleaded guilty to a charge of wilful damage.

The court heard how police were called by the defendant to his Stratford address on December 19 for an unrelated matter.

The sole-charge constable who attended was talking to other residents at the property when the "agitated" defendant went into the kitchen and picked up a large knife.

He then slashed two tyres on the police patrol car, which was parked on a main road.

Duty solicitor Natalie Bradley said that Franklin had been drinking throughout the day, but was aware of the impact of his actions.

"He realised someone could have been hurt," she said.

Police sought reparation of $652 and Judge Allan Roberts remanded Franklin until February 3 to come up with the money.

"Otherwise I will look at options that will compromise his liberty," he said.

In the other case, the court heard how Ian Mingi Ikimoke Uerata, a beneficiary from Hawera, intentionally damaged a window at the Hawera police station.

The 26-year-old pleaded guilty to a charge of wilful damage following the incident on December 20 when he appeared in the Hawera District Court yesterday.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Stephen Hickey said Uerata was intoxicated at the time and was being held in the cells following a domestic incident at his home.

While in the cells, Uerata picked up a pair of nail clippers and threw them against the window, smashing the glass, Mr Hickey said.

Judge Roberts remanded Uerata to reappear on February 19 for the reparation figure to be confirmed by police.

It is believed the costs are likely to be more than $1000.

The judge said he expected Uerata to have at least $100 with him to contribute to the costs when he reappeared.

Taranaki Daily News