Late-night food retailer welcomed back to city's streets

ISOBEL EWING
Last updated 05:00 19/02/2014
cafe turky full
Cameron Burnell

Huseyin Can and Ismail Can owners of Cafe Turkey

Relevant offers

Five months after their late-night kebab cart was shut down, Cafe Turkey is back on the streets.

New Plymouth District Council did not renew the licence for the kebab cart to operate in Huatoki Plaza in August after complaints from competing late-night food outlets in the CBD.

But after a flood of public support for the mobile Turkish food joint, the council has given them a six-month contract to operate Thursday to Saturday from midnight until late.

"We got plenty of good feedback about the activity so have agreed to have them in the Huatoki Plaza on a short-term commercial basis," district council parks manager Mark Bruhn said.

Whether the cart will be permitted to stay will depend on the council's decision regarding the draft policy on commercial trading in public places.

Cafe Turkey staff member Malik Adnan said the cart had been operating for a month and was welcomed back with open arms.

"Business has been fantastic. We're very happy to be back on the road, it's a good comeback."

The support on their petition to stay in Huatoki Plaza was huge, with about 500 supporters, he said.

"We really appreciated the support from the public."

The draft policy will be tabled at a council meeting on March 4.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Who are you most excited to see at Womad?

Orquesta Buena Vista Social Club

Sinead O’Connor

Tahuna Breaks

Canzoniere Grecanico Salentino

Balkan Beat Box

Someone else

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online