LATEST: A ruptured gas pipe which caused the evacuation of an entire block in New Plymouth's CBD has been isolated.
People had been evacuated from buildings in Gill St, between Liardet and Gover streets, about 12.30pm and the road was closed off after contractors hit the gas pipe.
Police, firefighters and ambulance staff attended the emergency call out.
Two people, from nearby buildings, were taken to hospital by St John ambulance after inhaling gas fumes.
Senior station officer David Utumapu said once the pipe had been isolated and buildings checked for gas pockets the street was reopened about 2.30pm.
At the same time the brigade was called to the gas leak a sprinkler activated an alarm at the New Police Station, but there was no fire.
- Taranaki Daily News
Should New Plymouth council sell off assets from the Perpetual Investment Fund to pay off debt?Related story: Perpetual Investment Fund asset sell-off 'should be debated'
Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates
Get your mid week news fix
Get your South Taranaki news online