Factory fire

Last updated 10:42 19/04/2014

Relevant offers

Emergency services were called to a South Taranaki business on Friday night to attend to a small fire.

An alarm sounded at Taranaki By-Products, on Kohiti Rd near Okaiawa, at about 10.30pm  after one of its dryers overheated and caught fire.

Hawera chief fire officer Daryl Fowler said two appliances attended the scene, one from Okaiawa station and the other from Hawera.  

He said the cooling system had been activated by the time they arrived and firefighters assisted to put the fire out.Fowler said no damage was caused to the dryer or to the rest of the building.

It is not the first time the business had been hit by fire this year.  

In January, about 40 firefighters were required to put out a fire that had spread to the roof between the plant's boiler room and dryer area.

Ad Feedback

- Taranaki Daily News

Special offers
Opinion poll

The lower drink-driving limits from December are:

Great - too much carnage on our roads.

Overkill - targets moderate drinkers, not the heavies

Still too little - make it zero tolerance.

Sensible - punishment is in line with lesser breaches of limit.

Vote Result

Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Follow the Taranaki Daily News on Twitter

Get Taranaki's frequent news and sport updates

TDN North Taranaki Midweek

The North Taranaki Midweek's online

Get your mid week news fix

TDN South Taranaki Star

South Taranaki Star online

Get your South Taranaki news online