The Good Life: Jono Brownjohn
The Good Life this month features a talented disabled sportsperson Jono Brownjohn. Photographer Charlotte Curd spent some time with the young athlete at New Plymouth Boys' High School this week
1. What makes your sport the best?
"No matter who you are, how big or small, wide or thin, disabled or abled, there is always an event suitable for you in athletics."
2. Where do you see yourself in your sport in 5-10 years?
"Hmmm, I can see myself competing in athletics at an international level representing New Zealand in the paralympics."
3. What is your favourite non-sporting activity?
"I'm a gaming type of guy, so when I don't have a training or a sport, I tend to jam a little . . . Call of Duty."
4. Who is your favourite sportsperson or team?
"I gotta go with Derrick Rose as my favourite sportsperson. This guy has recently had multiple injuries on his knees and he's still working his butt off for that major comeback in the NBA. So, no matter how hard you get hit, you always have to find a way to get back up."
5. What is a sport that should be in the Olympics but is not there now?
"Umm . . . hide and seek would be great."
6. What is your favourite genre of music or band?
"I like Trap music, Hip-Hip, Rap, Country is pretty dope. I kinda like old-school songs too, they remind me of the life in Papua New Guinea."
7. Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus? OR Beatles or Rolling Stones?
"I don't really like any of them but if I had a choice, I'd choose Miley Cyrus . . . haha . . . Don't Judge."
8. Sum yourself up in three words.
"One-legged sports freak."
9. Do you have a nickname?
"I have multiple . . . Jono, Chi-Cho, one-legged, Chich, Jojo Mojo."
10. If you could have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be?
"Ariana Grande for sure, if you read this, hit me up baby."
11. And why?
"She's such a good singer. Amazing vocals and the chick can rap too! Also pretty fly, so I ain't go'n to lie."
12. What is the biggest issue currently facing young people?
"Cyberbullying and bullying in general for sure. I'm highly against bullies. Not only because I've had the experience of being bullied, but if you push someone so far, it may end up to the point where they may take their own life. I know the importance of one individual and what differences one individual can make. Bullying has to stop, at least make a change. I bet you'd change if bullying happened to you, a friend or a sibling. Imagine the pain and what they go through on a day-to-day basis. Think before you speak out loud about someone."
13. Is there anywhere where you particularly want to travel?
"Back home to Papua New Guinea."
14. How does social media affect your sport/career?
"Well, I think paralympics and paralympic athletes don't get enough social media cover, but it's beginning to change. So I'm hoping for the best so our sport and athletes have a chance to promote themselves."
15. What is your worst sports injury?
"Patellar tendonitis, my foot from my fake leg broke. And well, this one time my leg fell off. That's about it."
UP AND OVER: Jono Brownjohn is ranked No 1 at New Zealand secondary school level in the highjump for athletes with a disability.
Taranaki Daily News