Marist United on track to repeat

18:11, Nov 25 2012
Marist United
HOWZAT: Francis Douglas Memorial College bowler Peter Ingram appeals to the umpire before New Plymouth Marist United’s opening batsman Dean Robinson was given out.

Defending champions New Plymouth Marist United will meet Woodleigh in the Taranaki premier grade one-day cricket final at Pukekura Park on Sunday week.

The finalists were found in the Revital Fertilisers competition yesterday after Marist United beat Francis Douglas Memorial in one semifinal and Woodleigh proved too strong for Inglewood in the other.

Woodleigh will be shooting for their second one-day title in three years, having won it for a first time in the 2009-10 season. The New Plymouth club lost its semifinal last year to Marist United.

Both Marist United and Woodleigh are expected to be at full strength for the final, including Marist United's Central Districts rep Dean Robinson.

Batting first at Lynmouth Park, Marist United kept the scoreboard ticking over from the start reaching 215-8 in their 50 overs. Seven batsmen each contributed 19 runs or more in the innings.

Top scorer Ethan Bolstad (37no) looked in control making a case for a recall to the Taranaki rep side for their match against Wairarapa this week.


Bolstad hit a six off the final ball of the innings.

Robinson (33) helped set a platform at the start before falling lbw to Peter Ingram.

Ingram, Cameron Meads and Michael Blanks each bagged a brace of wickets.

The Francis Douglas openers Shaun Sullivan and Blanks put on 22 runs for the first wicket, but once Blanks went wickets tumbled.

Marist medium pace bowler Sam Barrett did most damage with 5-31 off 10 overs.

The school side was bundled out for 96 in 38 overs with only three batsmen reaching double figures, the best of them Shaun Sullivan (14) and Daniel Bernet (14no).

Woodleigh recovered from a tardy beginning to crush Inglewood by 123 runs in their match at Inglewood's Karo Park.

Woodleigh batted first and were 9-2 with openers Brent Bishop and Kenny Roycroft out cheaply.

Luke Tuckett and Phillip Barraclough were the catalysts for a remarkable turn around which eventually saw Woodleigh through to 276-9.

Barraclough smashed 74, Tuckett (45) and Hayden Whiting (51) with the Tuckett-Barraclough partnership worth 96 runs.

Andrew Mason chipped in with 39.

Facing a commanding run chase, Inglewood slumped to 86-5 after 27 overs andwere always struggling to keep up to the required run-rate thereafter.

They were eventually dismissed for 153.

Jamie Farquhar top scored with 41 while captain Hayden McIntyre made 34.

Tuckett completed a fine all round game with 3-17 off seven overs with support from his English clubmate Joe Abbott who also took three wickets.

Cody Rei took two wickets in his first match for Woodleigh this season after returning home from his time with Southland in the national provincial rugby competition.


HONOURS BOARD One-day playoffs Batting P Barraclough (Woodleigh) 74 H Whiting (Woodleigh) 51 Bowling S Barrett (NPMU) 5-31