Wagging tail leads Old Boys out of trouble

16:00, Dec 09 2012

The tail certainly wagged for New Plymouth Old Boys on day one of their two-day Taranaki premier grade match against Inglewood at New Plymouth's Western Park on Saturday.

Old Boys were in trouble at 70-5 and recovered to 154-7 before the fireworks began.

Batting at No 8, Dean Stewart hit 54, No 9 Wes Morrick a lively 60 and No 10 Warwick Millar delivered a couple of lusty blows in his 46 to carry Old Boys through to 292. The last three wickets produced 138 runs.

All of the Inglewood bowlers suffered with Aaron Taylor taking 3-74, Hayden McIntyre 2-47 and Heath Karlson 2-50.

Inglewood lost three wickets in the final session to finish the day at 51-3.

Stratford cashed in on a good start to hold the upper hand after day one of their match against Woodleigh at Stratford.


Batting first, Stratford openers Neil Harper and Chris Strange put on 95 for the first wicket. Harper scored 47 including five fours and a six, while Strange top-scored with 69, including 10 fours and a six.

Some hard hitting by No 5 batsman Chris McEldowney, who scored 66, helped Stratford through to 235. McEldowney's innings included 10 fours and two sixes.

Hayden Whiting was easily the best of the Woodleigh bowlers with a six-wicket bag.

Woodleigh found the going tough when they batted and at stumps were in trouble at 79-5. Grant Commerford did most of the damage with 4-27. Runs were hard to come by in the match between New Plymouth Marist United and Hawera United at New Plymouth's Lynmouth Park.

Batting first, Marist United were in trouble immediately. Opener Jason Meuli was the first to go, followed quickly by Dean Robinson and Josh Barrett.

Captain Ryan Fleming held the innings together before he was run out for 51, with some late resistance from Ryan Watson, who finished unbeaten on 30.

Best of the Hawera bowlers were brothers Peter and Rob Northcott. Peter claimed two of the first three wickets to fall, with Rob chiming in with three. Import Douglas Hondo finished with 2-37.

Hawera also lost early wickets and limped through to 70-7 at stumps.

The wickets were shared around with Josh Barrett the best with 3-17 off his 13 overs, while Ryan Watson and Ethan Bolstad both picked up two wickets.

There was no play in the other match between Francis Douglas Memorial College and New Plymouth Boy's High School.

"We couldn't prepare the pitch. We had the covers on during the week and had them off on Friday, but the pitch was too wet," Francis Douglas coach Debu Banik said.

"We called play off on Friday night. The plan was to play midweek and again next Saturday, but tournament rules say we can't. Our only option now is to play next Saturday. There's nothing much we can do about it."