Woodleigh, Inglewood take out premier two-day semifinals

Inglewood's Jason Dombroski fends one away.

Inglewood's Jason Dombroski fends one away.

Defending Taranaki premier two-day cricket champions New Plymouth Old Boys won't be going back-to-back after being dispatched by Woodleigh by 10 wickets in the semifinals.

After his side lost the toss and were sent in to bat at Sutherland Park on Saturday, Woodleigh opener Peter Ingram set about making the Old Boys team rethink their decision as he took his time in the middle to craft an innings of 78 from 165 balls before being dismissed.

With Philip Barraclough adding 51 and Nick Standen chipping in with 39, Woodleigh posted 255 to open proceedings.

In response, Old Boys got off to a poor start with opening batsman Jackson Braddock-Pajo falling in the first over.

Fellow opener Ben Mitchell was the only Old Boys batsman to score in double figures, scoring 12 from 30 deliveries as the defending champions finished the opening day 33-4.

It didn't get better on Sunday for Old Boys as they were all out for 70 in their first innings and made to follow on.

Their second innings was better, with Matt Shaw (72) and Braddock-Pajo (45) helping the side to a total of 209.

However, their first innings total meant Woodleigh only needed 28 runs in the second visit to the crease to take the match, which they did with ease.

In the other semifinal, a half century from Hayden McIntyre saved Inglewood's opening innings from disaster as they elected to bat against New Plymouth Marist United at Lynmouth Park. 

Inside the first 10 overs, Inglewood found themselves 16-4 before McIntyre and Jason Dombroski righted the ship, with Dombroski scoring 28 before departing while McIntyre went on to score 54.

Inglewood scored 165 from their opening innings, with Marist captain Jarred Cunningham snagging 6-42.

Marist might have been liking their chances heading in to bat, but with three of their top five batsmen falling without troubling the scorers, they were left looking vulnerable at 40-5 at the end of the day.

They did manage to score 103, led by ryan Watson's 28, to avoid the follow-on on Sunday, but were unable to get Inglewood out quickly in their second innings - with the visitors again scoring 165 and Cunningham again taking six wickets.

Needing 227 runs to win with time running low on the second day, Marist had no choice but to go out looking to score and were only able to muster 93-7, having to settle for the draw with Inglewood moving on to the final with first-innings points.

At a glance

Woodleigh 255 (P Ingram 78, P Barraclough 51, N Standen 39, J Quinney 22; C Stuart 4-39, T McDougall 4-74, J McDougall 2-30) and 28-0 beat New Plymouth Old Boys 70 (A Mason 5-28, T Williams 3-18, S Bird 2-19) and 209 (M Shaw 72, J Braddock-Pajo 45, J McDougall 38; A Mason 6-61, C Black 2-5, T Williams 2-58) by 10 wickets.

Inglewood 165 (H McIntyre 54, J Dombroski 28, R Boot 24; J Cunningham 6-42, M Carter 2-13, R Watson 2-40) and 165 (A Zame 43, Dombroski 31, A Taylor 29; Cunningham 6-66, D Bernet 2-22) met New Plymouth Marist United 103 (Watson 28; Taylor 4-41, McIntyre 3-17, Dombroski 3-21) and 93-7 (J Richards 23; McIntyre 4-35, Dombroski 3-54). Inglewood progress with first innings points.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback