The Good Life this month features leading Taranaki sprinter Zoe Hobbs. Photographer Robert Charles spent some time with the talented teen.
Name: Zoe Hobbs
Schooling: New Plymouth Girls' High School
1. What makes your sport the best?
Lots of travel, many opportunities to go overseas in representing your country at different competitions. And because it's an individual sport, you meet many people from new places rather than staying within a team.
2. Where do you see yourself in your sport in 5-10 years?
Hopefully Commonwealth Games eventually or further if I can - the Olympics.
3. What is your favourite non-sporting activity?
Hanging out with mates or shopping.
4. Who is your favourite sportsperson or team?
Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce.
5. Does your sporting life get in the way of your social life?
I still have time to spend with my mates, though sometimes it can restrict me because I'm often training or away competing.
6. Where is the most interesting place your sport has taken you?
7. Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus?
8. Sum yourself up in three words:
Sporty, poised, arty.
9. Favourite spot in Taranaki?
Probably the beach.
10. Do you have a nickname?
Zo, zozo, zobo are the usuals.
11. If you could have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be?
12. And why?
Sounds cliche since I'm a sprinter, but I would because he's the top athlete in my sporting field and because he seems like a laid back funny guy.
13. Is there anywhere you particularly want to travel?
14. Do you still read books with all the modern technology around?
I've never really been a reader even before modern technology.
15. What is your worst sports injury?
I've never had anything too serious, just a problem with my foot last year with this cuboid bone that was twisted, and a few years ago I had a problem with the joint between my glute and hamstring.
- Taranaki Daily News
Does more need to be done to protect NZ passports?