iPhone explodes in Australian owner's hands video

SMH

CCTV captures the moment an iPhone catches fire when the owner brings it to a repair shop in Queensland.

The explosive week in the tech world continues as a video has emerged on social media that purportedly shows an Apple iPhone 6 Plus exploding in a user's hand.

The CCTV footage, taken on Monday at a mobile phone repair store in Australia, purportedly shows what begins as a normal exchange between a customer and staff member.

When demonstrating the problem with his broken iPhone, the customer and his friend appear to recoil in shock as the device lets off clouds of smoke, forcing him to throw it onto the counter.

The incident happened in a repair shop in Queensland.

The incident happened in a repair shop in Queensland.

"He considers himself extremely lucky," says Simon Owen, owner of the store in regional Queensland.

READ MORE:
* Girl's phone explodes in the middle of school powhiri
* iPhone 'explodes' leaving cyclist with third-degree burns
* Galaxy Note 7 'explodes' in hotel causing $1870 in damages
* Safety warning after passenger's headphones explode on flight

 


"It's 100 per cent pure coincidence that it happened when he was talking to the repairer.

"Imagine if he was driving down the highway at the time. Our service counter has a giant hole in it."

The video appears to show the iPhone as damaged when the user applied a "standard amount of pressure" to the cracked screen to apparently demonstrate its faulty status, according to Mr Owen.

This is not the first time the shop has experienced problems with exploding Apple devices.

Ad Feedback

"We have had iPhone batteries explode before," says Owen.

"It was an iPhone 5 battery about three years ago. When they blow, they smoke like that because the two chemicals in the battery mix. It sets off a toxic green haze. It set the whole bin on fire. After that we bought fire equipment [used in the most recent video]."

"He bought me a case of beer," says Owen about the customer.

"In regional Australia that's what you do."

A staff member then douses the smouldering device with a fire extinguisher.

 - Sydney Morning Herald

Comments

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback