Yahoo says “97 per cent” of the people who lost access to their email following a hardware failure at an overseas datacentre on Tuesday evening can now get back into their accounts.
However, Yahoo has yet to deliver about 20 per cent of the emails that those customers should have received since Tuesday. It is working to clear the backlog.
It also indicated affected customers might not be able to view emails delivered to their accounts between 25 November and 12 December.
Yahoo has declined to say how many people have been affected by the fault.
Some of Telecom’s long-suffering YahooXtra customers were among them, as Telecom outsources its email service to Yahoo. The outage followed an unrelated attack last week that saw tens of thousands of YahooXtra accounts hijacked by fraudsters and used to send out malware infected spam.
“We're aware that some users are still having trouble accessing their accounts. We're working tirelessly to restore access to their accounts,” Yahoo said in an advisory posted at 9am this morning.
An update posted at lunchtime provided no new information.