Hollywood v Dotcom case on hold
Kim Dotcom has won a small victory in his fight against a collection of Hollywood music and movie studios.
The Megaupload founder had been successful in his bid to put on hold the studios' civil lawsuits against him, and took to Twitter to announce the United States court judgment.
“Breaking: US court just granted our motion for stay of all pending civil action by Hollywood against #Megaupload and myself,” he tweeted.
In April six Hollywood film studios filed a civil case against Dotcom in the United States, claiming he "facilitated, encouraged, and profited" from illegal file-sharing on the site.
The Motion Picture Association of America filed the suit on behalf of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Disney Enterprises, Paramount Pictures Corporation, Universal City Studios Productions, Columbia Pictures Industries, and Warner Bros Entertainment in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Music studios Warner Music Group, UMG Recordings, Sony Music Entertainment and Capital Records have since joined the fray.
The US Government is already seeking to extradite Dotcom to face charges relating to copyright, racketeering and money-laundering allegedly carried out by Megaupload.
Dotcom's lawyer Tracy Walker said the US court had granted Dotcom's bid to put on hold the civil case there pending the outcome of the extradition case, which is due to start next month.
Walker said the stay on the civil case had been granted until August 1.
However, there were conditions attached to the ruling, including allowing the studios to continue with their bid to keep Dotcom's assets frozen pending the outcome of the cases.