Retired US general target of leaks probe

Last updated 16:39 28/06/2013
Retired Marine General James 'Hoss' Cartwright
Getty Images
IMPLICATED: Retired US Marine General James 'Hoss' Cartwright

Relevant offers

Digital Living

Microsoft quietly content as EU moves on Google Facebook Messenger apps seek to infuse emotion into texts The next pill you swallow might have a computer chip in it These tools can help you find legitimate content Plane wifi could facilitate terrorism The addicting psychology of 'The Button,' the Reddit game that ate the Internet Google faces fines, search constraints as EU decision approaches Chimps are no chumps when it comes to drones Consumer NZ accuses TV companies of protectionism First four episodes of Game of Thrones season five leaked online

The former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is under investigation for allegedly leaking classified information about a covert cyber attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, according to media reports.

Retired Marine General James "Hoss" Cartwright has been told he is a target of the probe, NBC News and The Washington Post reported Thursday.

The Justice Department referred questions to the US attorney's office in Baltimore, where a spokeswoman, Marcia Murphy, declined to comment.

In June 2012, the New York Times reported that Cartwright was a crucial player in the cyber operation called Olympic Games, started under President George W Bush.

Bush reportedly advised President Barack Obama to preserve Olympic Games.

According to the Times, Obama ordered the cyberattacks sped up, and in 2010 an attack using a computer virus called Stuxnet temporarily disabled 1000 centrifuges that the Iranians were using to enrich uranium.

Congressional leaders demanded a criminal probe into who leaked the information, and Obama said he had zero tolerance for such leaks. Republicans said senior administration officials had leaked the details to bolster the president's national security credentials during the 2012 campaign.

The Times said Cartwright was one of the crucial players who had to break the news to Obama and Vice President Joe Biden that Stuxnet at one point had escaped onto the Internet.

An element of the program accidentally became public in the summer of 2010 because of a programming error that allowed it to escape Iran's Natanz plant and sent it out on the Internet, the Times reported. After the worm escaped onto the Internet, top administration officials met to consider whether the program had been fatally compromised.

Obama asked if the program should continue, and after hearing the advice of top advisers, decided to proceed.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content