South Korean presidential site loses data

Last updated 16:14 01/07/2013

Relevant offers

Digital Living

New scam reports 'timely reminder' to be vigilant There's a powerful new way to dig up dead websites Australian man turns off Telstra's 2G network, says goodbye to his 13-year-old Nokia GoPro cutting 15% of staff and closing entertainment unit Reddit boss admits to editing users' posts amid pro-Trump troll attacks My experience with UFB How social media has changed the way we eat Explained: HDR photography Battery breakthrough could let phones charge in seconds and last for a week UK law allows govt to track users' internet use

South Korea says personal information was stolen from its presidential website in a cyberattack last week that coincided with a shutdown of North Korean websites.

Yonhap news agency reported that about 100,000 subscribers' accounts were hacked on the presidential website. It cited an unidentified presidential official. The president's office acknowledged the loss of data but couldn't confirm the details.

The Blue House has apologized on its website for allowing names, birthdates and IDs to be stolen. Passwords were not compromised.

Several North and South Korean websites shut down Wednesday, the anniversary of the start of the Korean War. The Korean Peninsula remains technically at war because the 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce.

Seoul blames hacking for last week's shutdown. North Korea hasn't commented.

Ad Feedback

- AP

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content