Mag 3.9 earthquake hits Christchurch
Windows rattled across Canterbury this afternoon thanks to a magnitude 3.9 earthquake felt across the region at 2.11pm.
According to GeoNet, the quake was centred 15km west of Christchurch near Weedons, and was about 6km deep.
Cantabrians reported a sharp jolt and a rumbling aftershock in Weedons, Huntsbury, Papanui, North Beach, Halswell and Kaiapoi.
One Kaiapoi resident said the windows were rattling for the first time in months and that the dogs in the area started barking.
It is the fifth quake above magnitude 3.0 in the last four weeks. It came on the back of a small 2.4 near Hanmer Springs earlier this morning, which went largely undetected in Christchurch.
No damage or injury had been reported.
REACTIONS ON TWITTER:
@MikeThorpeTVNZ 4.2 apparently, Greendale fault. 6km deep and a lengthy rattle.
— Mike Thorpe (@MikeThorpeTVNZ) May 10, 2014
— Jeff (@CentrePntMotel) May 10, 2014
BIG shake out here at University #eqnz
— Tony McCaffrey (@tonymccaffrey) May 10, 2014
Wow that was a goodie. Haven't had one for a while #eqnz
— Jaimie (@jaimiekeay) May 10, 2014
That was a long rumble #eqnz
— Fae Teardrop (@TheMrsFae) May 10, 2014
cripes that shake just took a few years off my life #eqnz
— Jaya Mangalam Gibson (@jaya_gibson) May 10, 2014
So I thought our movers seemed like pretty tough guys, one swore and another screamed. #eqnz
— Michael Cropp (@M_Cropp) May 10, 2014
— Pip Rush (@pip_joy) May 10, 2014
- Did you feel it?
- The Press
Have you had a ticket in the last five years?Related story: Canterbury speed camera use rises sharply
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam