Woman denies killing boyfriend
A 22-year-old Christchurch woman will defend a charge of murdering her boyfriend, Cory Protos.
Zariah Jae Samson appeared in the High Court in Christchurch this morning.
Samson stood silently in the dock today as her defence counsel entered a not guilty plea on her behalf.
Interim name suppression lifted for Samson and the dead man, Cory James Protos, 30, of Christchurch.
Police allege Samson murdered Protos on April 27.
They believe Protos was killed at a property in Conference St, central Christchurch, before his body was moved to a home in the suburb of Bryndwr where Samson lived.
Judge David Gendall remanded Samson in custody to appear again on July 18.
A trial was likely to start on April 11 next year.
Protos was originally from Ashburton.
He was the only child of Gail and Jim Protos, who live in Perth and were not in court today.
Police said earlier that Samson and Protos had been in a short relationship when he was killed.
An application to photograph Samson in court was refused.
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam