Ashburton police have released details of a man that attempted to abduct an 8-year-old girl last week.
The man, who was driving a dark green car, was also wearing a white t-shirt and black track pants.
The victim said the man was also wearing a mask that covered his face.
Detective Sergeant Jennifer Hooke said police had spoken to several people in the area. However, they have not yet identified or been contacted by the four or five people described by the child as being between Harrison and Smitheram streets at the time of the attempted abduction.
Hooke asked anyone on Harrison St who saw the girl and the male offender between 4pm and 4.15pm on Tuesday May 6 to contact police.
Police are particuarly keen to speak to an older woman walking two black and white dogs who spoke to the young girl and was handed an item by her.
"It is a busy road and at that time of day it was still light and a number of persons would have been walking past and vehicles would have been driving by this area," Hooke said.
"When the young girl ran away from the man, she ran screaming back to her house past persons on the footpath who would have seen she was distressed."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Ashburton Police on (03) 037 8400.
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- The Press
Which design do you prefer for Christchurch's earthquake memorial?Related story: Christchurch quake memorial plans revealed
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam