A fourth person has appeared in court in relation to the death of an Ashburton man a week ago.
A 46-year-old Ashburton man was remanded in custody after appearing in the Timaru District Court this morning.
He was arrested on Saturday and charged with assaulting Arran James Gairns with intent to rob on May 31. He was given interim name suppression and entered no plea.
Police believe the 34-year-old victim, known as AJ, was the subject of an attempted robbery which is believed to have occurred before 4am.
His body was located in a drainage run-off area behind commercial premises on West Street on the afternoon of June 1.
Another 24-year-old Ashburton man faces an identical charge and was given interim name suppression after being remanded on bail at his first court appearance last week.
A 26-year-old man also appeared in Timaru District Court during the week accused of attacking Gairns.
A Wellington woman, also alleged to have been involved, entered no plea at her first appearance before the court and was also bailed and granted name suppression until her next appearance next month.
However, the 26-year-old woman's Hawke's Bay bail address fell through, resulting in her being remanded in custody.
Anyone with further information is urged to contact Ashburton police on (03) 307 8400.
- The Timaru Herald
Should religion be taught in schools?Related story: 'Kitchen work' for no-bible student
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam