Two men are in police custody following a serious assault in Nelson that left a 40-year-old man in a coma in hospital.
The victim suffered serious head injuries after the attack outside a Rutherford St house shortly before 11.30pm yesterday.
The victim was transferred to Wellington Hospital in a critical condition.
He is now in an induced coma.
A 19-year-old and a 27-year-old will appear in Nelson District Court on Monday charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Police are speaking with a number of witnesses and are not looking for anyone else in relation to the matter.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam