Whanganui jockey Thomas Russell is in a critical condition in the intensive care unit at Christchurch Hospital following a trackwork fall.
Russell is believed to have serious neck injuries after being dislodged from a horse while riding trackwork, at the Bulls racecourse, around 9am on Thursday.
He was originally admitted to Palmerston North Hospital, but has since been transferred to Christchurch.
Russell, 31, has ridden five winners this season and has a career tally of 276 wins.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam