Shop owner wrestles gunman
A dairy owner bravely wrestled a gun from a masked man who walked into his store and demanded cash and cigarettes.
Police are looking for the would-be robber who fled empty-handed from Yaldhurst Discount Dairy, on Yaldhurst Rd, Christchurch, about 6.35pm, yesterday.
An air rifle was left at the scene.
Detective Sergeant Hamish Wilson said the dairy owner initially complied with the gun-toting man's demands but took matters into his own hands when he realised it was not a high-powered rifle.
"When the robber has pointed the firearm over the counter the [owner] grabbed the barrel and wrestled it off him," Wilson said.
"Whilst the dairy owner was lucky on this occasion to escape without injury we would recommend that anyone in that situation comply with the demands of the robber and contact police as soon as possible."
The alleged robber was described as a European, of medium build, 1.8m tall and wearing a grey jacket over the top of a black hoodie. His face was covered with a black cloth.
Anyone with information is asked to call Christchurch police on 03 363 7400 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- The Press
Do you care about mass surveillance?Related story: What Christchurch thinks of spy revelations
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam