The Mackenzie district farmer who died after being crushed between a truck and a fertiliser loading bucket has been named by police.
He was Philip William MacKay, 49.
The farmer suffered "massive" injuries to his pelvic area and was flown to Christchurch by the rescue helicopter on Monday.
He died in Christchurch Hospital yesterday.
MacKay had been leaning up against a loading bucket when a truck drove forward and crushed him, a spokesman for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter said.
Emergency services were called to the incident near Lake Benmore about 8.15am on Monday. Police waited to release his name to inform family overseas first.
- The Timaru Herald
How will your family celebrate Christmas Day?Related story: Christmas Day warm, dry for Cantabs
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam