Red-zone house sells for $10,500
Relief as red-zoned house sells for $10,500
Uninsured red-zoned home-owners Michael and Phyllis Thom are off to have a celebratory cup of tea with two sugars after their house sold for $10,500 at auction tonight.
The Christchurch couple, both in their late 60s, listed their house with a $1 reserve
The devastated couple took a $400,000 hit when their uninsured property was red-zoned.
They received $81,500 from the government.
About 20 people turned up for the auction at Harcourts Grenadier where the successful bidders, who want to remain anonymous, have bought the house on behalf of a son overseas.
"We are so pleased we were here to see it go," said Michael Thom.
"It is good that it has gone as a house and not as chattels" said Phyllis Thom.
The money will go to help repair a house in New Brighton which they bought with the help of their extended family.
It has been a hard road for the couple.
Without money for emergency repairs, the couple had to live in a cold, draughty and leaky house.
Phyllis Thom contracted pneumonia and had to give up work as a carer.
Harcourts Grenadier agent Tristan Harcourt said the company have decided to buy tickets for the couple to go to the UK to visit family including a grandchild whom they haven't seen for seven years.
Jamon Demolition have also donated $5,000 to the couple.
- The Press
What infuriates you most about driving in Christchurch?Related story: City congestion demands action
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam