Man killed in North Canterbury crash
Emergency services used ropes and a 4WD to stabilise a van down a bluff in North Canterbury only to discover the driver was dead.
Police received a callout to a crash on State Highway 7, between Culverden and Hanmer Springs, just after 6.50am today.
A Christchurch police spokesman said a 38-year-old man was reported missing after failing to arrive in Hanmer Springs.
When police arrived at the crash scene, about two kilometres south of Marble Point, they found a van about 30 to 40 metres down a bluff.
It was in a "precarious" position and there was one occupant in the vehicle, but he was unresponsive.
The police spokesman said fire crews attached ropes from a fire engine and a police 4WD to the van to stop it going further down the bluff.
Once the van was stabilised, ambulance crews assessed the occupant, when he was confirmed dead.
The spokesman said the man's name would be released once family members were notified.
Another driver was killed on State Highway 7, also on the stretch between Hanmer Springs and Culverden, after a crash at 3.20pm on June 16.
Ngaire Khan, of Nelson, was driving one of two vehicles involved in the crash and died later in Christchurch Hospital.
- The Press
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam