St John ambulance has suspended two of its most senior Canterbury managers over allegations they used an ambulance vehicle to taxi them home after a boozy night out.
Fairfax understands one of those suspended is a district operations manager and the other a ''territory manager''.
A source said the pair were ''legless'' after a night drinking in late June and asked a colleague on duty in Rangiora to ferry them to their homes.
The source said one of them vomited in the back of the rapid response vehicle, but St John denied that.
''The vehicle was unavailable for a total of eight minutes and was not compromised or contaminated in any way,'' said David Thomas, St John's general manager for the South Island.
Thomas confirmed that two senior staff in North Canterbury had been suspended following ''inappropriate use of an operational vehicle'', pending further investigations.
''St John takes these issues very seriously and does not condone behaviour of this kind in any shape or form.''
He insisted the vehicle had not been pulled away from more important jobs.
''The use of the vehicle did not impact on any required St John response and at no stage were the two men [who are] being investigated driving the vehicle. The men were off duty.''
Thomas said it was now an employment matter and he could not comment further. Fairfax approached one of the men at his home today but he declined to comment.
- Fairfax Media
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam