Two South Island fires being investigated
The fire service is investigating two fires in the South Island, including a blaze that destroyed a family home.
A fire service spokesman said fire crews spent four hours at a property in Kekerengu on State Highway 1 between Ward and Kaikoura after being notified of a fire there about 12.30am.
The fire was not being treated as suspicious.
The rural home was ''totally destroyed'', he said, but fortunately no one was hurt.
There were people in the home when the fire started.
A suspicious fire in Westport, which began about 1.15am, is also being investigated.
The Westport Volunteer Fire Brigade arrived to find a fire raging in two rooms on the ground floor of the two-storey building in Palmerston St. The Waimangaroa Volunteer Brigade was called in to assist.
It took two hours to contain the fire.
''It was not a huge fire, but there is moderate damage downstairs and smoke damage upstairs,'' he said.
It was being treated as suspicious.
- The Press
Should the cenotaph be moved to Cranmer Square?Related story: (See story)
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam