A man whose truck collided with a train in Ashburton has died.
Police say the man, who was driving a truck owned by WaterForce Ashburton, was attempting to negotiate a give-way controlled railway crossing when the crash occurred on Monday.
The man was taken to hospital in a critical condition but died today.
Witnesses told police that the truck was crossing the line and the train sounded its warning device on more than one occasion immediately before the collision.
Which is your favourite Christchurch beach?Related story: Sumner beach: A holiday spot in the city
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam