Stadium designer 'incompetent, negligent'
The engineer who designed the original Stadium Southland has been expelled from the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (Ipenz).
Ipenz said its disciplinary committee had found Anthony Stanley Major had acted incompetently and negligently, potentially causing loss of life.
The roof structures of the stadium collapsed in September 2010 after a snowstorm.
During construction of Major's design, the stadium roof had sagged, Ipenz said.
Major redesigned the building, observed the construction and certified it as compliant with the building code.
The disciplinary committee found Major's attitudes and competencies remained below the standards expected of a professional member of Ipenz.
The Ipenz code of ethics requires members to have a duty of care to protect life and to safeguard people, to undertake duties with professionalism and integrity, and to work within their levels of competence.
Major did none of these things, the committee said.
As well as being expelled from the institution, Major was required to pay Ipenz all costs related to the inquiry and disciplinary process.
The disciplinary committee hearing was held on December 6, 2013, but Major appealed.
An appeal committee declined it on Wednesday last week.
- The Southland Times
What's the best option for cutting the council's $800m funding shortfall?Related story: (See story)
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email email@example.com
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: email@example.com
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam