A vineyard worker on the recognised seasonal employer scheme has died after he suffered a heart attack at the backpackers he had been staying at.
Tierata Nawaia from Kiribati collapsed in a corridor of the the Honi-B backpackers in Blenheim yesterday.
The father-of-five had come to Blenheim to work in November and was an employee of Provine.
St John Marlborough territory manager Murray Neal said the 55-year-old had suffered a cardiac arrest.
Paramedics had attempted to resuscitate him but he died at the scene.
Backpacker owner Karl Slape said he had come home from work early at around 12.30pm after complaining of a headache and was found collapsed in the backpackers at around 3.30pm.
Which memorial design do you like most?Related story: Christchurch earthquake memorial designs unveiled
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam