A large and "very rare" avalanche has engulfed a climber's hut on Mount Cook Aoraki.
New Zealand Alpine Club general manager Sam Newton said it appeared that no one was injured in the large rockfall, which may have happened at night.
"The rockfall covers a very, very big area,'' he said. "Rockfalls like this are very rare and hardly ever approach this size. This one is big.''
The rockfall happened on the South Ridge, or Hillary Ridge, of the mountain and swept down Noeline Glacier and over Pudding Rock, where the Gardiner Hut sits. It was reported by a pilot yesterday.
Photographs show the tin hut, which can sleep about eight people, engulfed in small rocks and moved off its foundations.
The rockfall is the third to strike the area in the last 18 months.
There was one on the other side of South Ridge near Ball Pass and another near Mount Haast.
DOC said there were no records of visitors to the area at the time of the avalanche and aerial investigations did not indicate anyone had been caught in the incident.
The hut was in a remote spot, used only by experienced alpine climbers.
DOC services manager Mike Davies said following a helicopter inspection it was working with GNS Science to assess the stability of the area before a more detailed investigation of damage.
Until then, people were asked to keep out of the Noeline Glacier region of the upper Hooker valley.
The Hooker Track is unaffected.
- The Press
Which is the best bar in Christchurch?Related story: Raise a glass to Volstead
• Newsroom 03-943 2827 or email email@example.com
• Classified Ads: 03-3778778 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Display and Online Ads: 03-3648285 or email email@example.com
• General inquiries: 03 379 0940
• Subscribe to The Press
• Deliveries, subscriptions, holiday stop/starts: 03 364 8464, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• No paper or holiday stop/starts: action online
• Buy a photo
• Newspaper subscribers - register for the digital edition
• Make press.co.nz your homepage
Read Press extras for Avenues, fashion, home design and weddings
Births, weddings, engagements
Death notices and in memoriam